Take a Chance

Now, in the middle of November, I can admit that yes, autumn has arrived. This Monday was the first morning that I had to turn on the lights when waking up at 7:30. It's rainy and it's gloomy, but I can't be affected by that here. There's so much going on, so many things to do and always something to look forward to; like my housewarming party, the Christmas market in Vienna or the Christmas holidays.


Lately I've come across many Austrian people. It's funny how people from one country always have some things that tell you where they are from. Russians, Brits, Swedes and French I can pretty much recognize by looks and gestures. Austrians I didn't know much about but I am starting to think that they are very well-behaved, well-informed, just plain simple nice people. Every time I tell someone that I'm from Finland they are impressed by it. Austrians weren't. And I love the fact that I didn't have to explain myself to any of them. 

Obviously they all asked why I moved to Slovakia and not some other European country, but none of them asked me to explain how someone could move away from Finland. They actually know that the country's in shit. They all knew someone from Finland and they were not impressed by their unsocial behaviour, drinking habits and the things that followed the drinking. I was even asked why Sweden and Norway are so awesome and Finland sucks :'D All I could answer was that there's a lot of sea between Finland and those two countries so we are a bit secluded from the civilized world, side-by-side with a country with no civilization whatsoever.  


It's so refreshing to talk with people who have proper information instead of these bullshit statistics that would say that Finland is one of the happiest countries in the world. It saves one a lot of time and energy when you don't have to explain simple facts for the umpteenth time. They also made me think about aaall the things that I would never have done if I had been content with life in Finland. 

For example, I've climbed a mountain, a MOUNTAIN! Two actually. I have been told that I am the "sunshine of the team" because I'm always smiling (something that would be considered extremely annoying in the North). I have traveled four countries in four months with the cost of three train tickets back and forth between Turku-Helsinki. I have met some of the most amazing people (special shout out to my former flat mates in London!). I joined a Fun Team to organize events and activities to colleagues, which is exactly what I've always wanted to do. I have said 'No' to a job, WHAT! And the most amazing thing: I have removed a light bulb, gone to a store, found the correct replacement, taken it back home and installed it MYSELF!  

Back home I could always rely on dad fixing anything. And when I say anything, I mean anything. But abroad I have to cope. And changing a light bulb may seem ridiculously simple to you but I just looove to find out every day that hey, I can do this. And I can do that. I can do anything if I want to. I am so happy I took the jump to the unknown in June. It turned out to be just the right thing to do :)  

Two very important things: Dinner and Dad



Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Challenge Accepted !

How Do I Cherish the Moment